Sunday 15 April 2012

15/04/2012


Yesterday was my grandmas 80th birthday, so we had a big surprise party in the basement of the church she attends. My family is spread throughout Canada, but most of them were able to make it back to Sarnia for the celebration. We figure probably 150+ people showed up throughout the day, and I know Nan was super excited to see everyone who came out!

I wasn’t feeling to hot Friday, but I pushed through a 100km ride. Saturday was way too busy to get and my legs feel like garbage for some reason. My legs haven’t been a problem at all, for the last 3 months, and I have been trying to cycle as many km’s as I can sneak in between teaching placement, schoolwork, and fundraising. I hit up a friend of mine, who was a great runner for the University of Windsor, and she told me how to do a vascular flush using warm and cold water intervals to help rid the lactic acid from my legs (Kind of excited to try this out)! Thanks Laura.

When I first started training for Parkinson’s Cycle of Hope, I didn’t have a road bike and winter was near, so I did a ton of spin classes. Spinning got my legs pretty strong, but it wasn’t until I went to the Toronto Bike Show and started talking to advanced cyclist that there is a science behind being able to bike long clicks. I had to start focusing on staying within a certain training zone to allow me to cycle long hours with little need for recovery. I cancelled my gym membership, luckily Revolution sponsored a bike, and I was on the road!

I have always had the philosophy of “just keep on givin’er”. I am in no way a professional cyclist; however, I am determined as heck and way to stubborn to give up on anything. I am not worried about the cycling because I can be in control of that. I am a little worried about trying to finalize a good copy of my teaching resume, buy a web domain to create a professional Parkinson’s Cycle of Hope website, drive to a meeting in Toronto for Monday, follow up with 25 different people about a Parkinson’s Cycle of hope event and hopefully secure a radio-host to be an auctioneer so I can know what I am working with when I meet with Sue from Jack Doyle’s this weekend, and I need to drive to Windsor for a meeting and a radio interview on Thursday. I love being this busy because it means Parkinson’s Cycle of Hope is starting to pick up; however, I still want to find a good GPS for the bike, a rack for my panniers so I can carry the gear, and cycle 100+km’s/ day.

I think I am a little bit overwhelmed because so many of these tasks are completely out of my comfort zone, (trying to make a great 1 stop website, setting up a text2donate function, and social media stuff is all very new to me) but I know I will learn a bunch and I will look back on this week and laugh! I will leave this blog for about a week, so I can focus on accomplishing the previously mentioned tasks. Thanks for reading & sharing your suggestions and ideas to make Parkinson’s Cycle of Hope have a big impact J

No comments:

Post a Comment