Wednesday 1 August 2012

Fun Facts & FAQ's about Parkinson's Cycle of Hope!


Fun Facts and FAQ’s

Where are you cycling to?
Vancouver to Halifax
How far is that?
The route I am taking is zigzaggin’ all over the place but the total distance ends up being slightly over 7000 km’s or something…I don’t really know actually…I mean I have a bike map that tells me but I never even try to remember....take it day by day!
How long will it take you?
72 days…started June 26th and I will be in Halifax September 3rd
How many people are doing this?
I am the only one cycling, but Elyse is driving a support van from Van-Tobermory, ON and then one of my best buddies is driving the rest.
I also have a huge group of people dedicating countless hours to trying to find us places to stay with people who have Parkinson’s disease, and I was able to secure several great sponsors that helped make this possible. There are lots of other awesome people who have helped me in numerous ways…they know who they are.
Why did you decide to cycle across Canada?
My father has Parkinson’s, but he is very hopeful of a cure….he devoted a big chunk of his life to taking care of me, and I want to give back to him in the smallest way that I can.
If I was smart enough to devote my life to Parkinson’s research in a lab, I would do that; however, cycling is something I knew I could do, and devoting a summer to cycling for a cause so close to my heart feels like something I just have to do. I didn’t really think of a reason why…it just had to happen…the reasons came after…I wanted to raise money that would go directly to finding a cure for Parkinson’s research and I wanted to spread awareness across Canada, because I only knew Michael J Fox and Muhammad Ali had Parkinson’s and that they both were affected by tremors. Once I saw someone I loved be affected by a disease I knew virtually nothing about, I had to try to bring more attention to Parkinson’s. Over 100 000 people are affected by Parkinson’s disease in Canada and that number is expected to double by 2016...I think that is a good enough reason to do what I am doing.
So, I guess my initial inspiration was my dad, but what keeps me going is the support from others. I have heard the saying TEAM-Together Everyone Achieves More, and I would just be a kid biking across a big country if it wasn’t for the 1000’s of people backing me!

Where do you sleep?
We have been fortunate to secure places to stay with people who have Parkinson’s. We don’t have a spot secured everywhere, so we pitch a tent when we don’t.
How many Miles do you bike per day?
I am a Canadian boy, so I am cycling about 120 km’s on average per day according to my bike map. I guess that would be about 75 miles eh?
You must love cycling!
Nope, I am teaching myself how to get through it…daily struggle that gets easier as I go. Basically just learned as much as I could about riding across Canada and then threw myself in the situation!
Do you listen to music while riding?
Not really…I usually entertain myself by focusing on how to make my ride more efficient and making sure I am not going to become road kill.
Does it scare you to cycle with all the traffic?
I have been scared a few times, but the traffic has been very considerate for the most part. Rather than be scared, I tend to be cautious and do everything I can to keep me safe…bright clothing, helmet, and a mirror seem to do the trick!
What is the fastest speed you have travelled?
Almost 70kms/hour….yes, I know what you are thinking….stupid….I agree with you, but I can’t touch the brakes after climbing mountains….I have faith in myself…unfortunately I have to put a bit of faith in the hands of drivers and my bike.
How many days has it rained?
I have been pretty lucky with not having much rain, and nothing bothers me except wind…I HATE headwinds, and I have unfortunately been cycling against a ton of headwind. I would take a tornado over a headwind as long as it came from behind me and pushed me in the right direction!
On a positive note…the headwinds have made me stronger, so I am able to reach way faster speeds now!!
What was your hardest day?
Cycling 150 km’s from Revelstoke to Golden BC. It is a nasty uphill battle and I ran out of water and food for 40kms….
Another very difficult day was from Medicine Hat Alberta to Gull Lake Saskatchewan…it was 170km’s and unfortunately the prevailing winds didn’t have my back….I was sick for two days before this day and I had a hell of a time cycling against a 20+ km/hour head wind….I was on my 6th day of cycling and only a few weeks into my ride, so my legs were just screaming!
How many days do you ride?
I cycle 6 days on and then have one day off
What is your longest day?
I have cycled 180km’s in one day, but I am sure I could have cycled much further….the thing is I don’t have the flexibility to choose to go far when I’m feeling good, and stop when I am feeling bad….because the most important part of my ride is staying with people who have Parkinson’s disease, I simply have to stick to the distance I am supposed to travel.
How can I help?
If you are able, you can donate online at www.pdcycle.com and you can always spread the word and follow along throughout the journey!
Where does the money go?
The funds raised will be attributed to the area from which the donation came from. Therefore, you will be directly supporting research in your own area to help the people around you!!!

I’m pretty sleepy so I can’t recall the other common questions, but I am more than willing to answer any curious questions through www.pdcycle.com, twitter: @CoryWelsh9, or Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkinsons-Cycle-of-Hope/162105320559401?ref=hl so send away!

Fun Facts
I have had zero flat tires….that is correct….zero….I may kick myself for saying it today, but I am pretty pumped! Maybe I will get across the entire country!!!

I have not seen a moose yet

I wanted to see a grizzly bear, but I didn’t see one.

I basically eat nothing but white bread, granola bars, protein bars, and peanut butter. I am addicted to PB so it works out pretty well…I have always enjoyed eating whole grains, but I need the quick carbs that white breads offer.

My second cousin is currently running across Canada and I didn’t hear about it until a week before he left. Check out www.troysrun.com! There must be something wrong in our gene pool!!



No comments:

Post a Comment