Wednesday 1 August 2012

Thunder Bay to Nipigon

Decided we were lazy today, so we drove to Tim Hortons to pick up something to fuel me for the ride to Nipigon. I skimmed through the Chronical Journal, which covers a very large geographical area around here, and Sandi wrote a great article about our ride! Big thanks!!!!

 The ride to Nipigon was only around 100 km's, so I figured I would try to cycle a bit further because I have been hearing a lot about the hills I am going to be climbing for the next few days. I planned on starting my ride right in Tbay on HWY 11/17; however, construction signs were very clearly posted, stating, "No cycling". I considered ignoring the signs, like the kid who now has a court date because of his stupidness on the Trans Can in Quebec, but I immediately decided a smarter decision was to drive a few km's ahead and begin when allowed. The ironic thing was the area I was unable to ride was directly around the Terry Fox Memorial Site.

Anyways, the weather today couldn't have been more of a varied spectrum...I looked at the Thunder Bay weather and it was showing sun, rain, cloud, wind, and Thunderstorms....the wind was almost 30 km's from the SW at times which was VERY beneficial during my ride from Thunder Bay to Nipigon; however, I decided to keep cycling against that wind once I wrapped around lake superior....the wind was insane but it was a lot of fun to cycle through....I enjoyed having it at my tail to start and then I didn't mind cycling through the headwind for some weird reason today....probably because the weather was over 31C before the Thunderstorm came and the wind cooled me off a bit.

My heart rate was out of control today, because I was slacking in the hydration department....I can't even try to calculate how much fluid I have drank since my ride, and I am still nowhere near hydrated. I will keep hammering the fluids tonight and I should be ready to start my ride tomorrow.

Regardless, I am 30km's beyond Nipigon, and I am eager to climb the hills ahead. I actually enjoy climbing hills at this point, because I have greatly improved my cycling ability since I first started training for this ride. I understand my body, how I need to fuel it, and the limits I can push it to without any problems the next day. I don't even blink at 100+ km's now, but I can remember cringing at anything over 25 when I first started training.

Here are the trip stats for today:  https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/user/calendar/item/analyze.ftl?id=158070394&r


I am not positive how the service will be for the next few days, but I will try to keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment