Friday 29 June 2012

June 26th Day 1-Vancouver to Abbotsford. Around 75km


We woke up this morning around 7am and Mrs. Tupper had all kinds of breakfast goodies ready for us, and she packed us a huge lunch! 

Revolution Bicycle Shop and Wawanosh Watercraft (Sarnia) hooked me up with a IBIKE computer that I have used to log the trip so far, but unfortunately the software package isn't cooperating with me so I can't retrieve the data to upload it to the computer...I will figure it out and post when I can

Elyse and I drove to the UBC campus to meet Chris Oliver on NW Marine dr so I could dip my tire in the Pacific before we headed to Abbotsford. Chris and I made great time through the heart of Vancouver because the bike lanes are amazing in this city. The only things slowing us down today were the red lights! We cycled about 40km and then met Elyse. Chris turned back because he had to cycle home and I continued on to Abbotsford.





I didn’t really get lost today, because I knew exactly where I was supposed to go, but construction sort of killed my time by keeping me nice and confused. Eventually I worked my way through the construction, the Poco Trail (which was gravel in lots of areas), bridges, and highway ramps. I was now in Abbotsford, BC.
We were greeted in Abbotsford by two awesome individuals, David and Betty. These folks welcomed us into their home with hot tea and buns, a shower, and then took us for sushi! It didn’t take me long to realize David and Betty were lifelong learners, and that I could learn a great deal from them.
 One thing David mentioned that really stuck with me is that everyone is going to deal with Parkinson’s in their own way, and that is to be respected; however, support groups and learning as much about Parkinson’s as they can seems to be a good way for them

Here is a valuable resource that David emailed me...I look forward to reading it!




You may also wish to visit a new mini-site set up for the guidelines: www.parkinsonclinicalguidelines.ca

The Abbotsford Parkinson Support Group came together to donate $100 to Parkinson’s Cycle of Hope and Betty presented it to me on behalf of the group! Thank you Abbotsford!!!!!


I don’t know what it is like to live with Parkinson’s, but I do know what it is like to live with someone who does, and I feel it seems to be very common for people to not want to openly discuss that they have Parkinson’s disease. Betty spoke of a doctor who was a key speaker at a conference they went to, and he seemed very open about PD but he still hadn’t told his family or staff. There are small support groups available but seeking them seems to be a very difficult emotional process.
A friend once told me, “You can’t force someone into doing something they don’t truly want to do. Show them what is available and let them decide what works for them. Be there for them, no matter what they choose to do.”

Parkinson’s isn’t like cancer where you are going to die if you don’t seek the treatments to stop it. There is no cure and I get upset when I see people struggling with Parkinson’s disease. I know my dad finds it difficult to see people who are struggling worse than he is with PD. Parkinson’s is scary in the fact that it can smother who you used to be.

After dinner with David and Betty, I stayed with Loraine and Paul. We talked about my dad and then they shared stories with me. I am the kind of guy who likes to talk to everyone, and I believe talking to strangers is the only way you make friends. I had a great time spending time with Loraine and Paul. They set up a guest suite in their condo and I think I had the best sleep of my life there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment