Sunday 8 July 2012

Day 9 Revelstoke to Golden (150 km)

Trip Stats:

https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/shared/exercise.ftl?shareTag=8089248b3d2b272e71047736488bebfe


Today was all but easy! -I couldn’t keep fluids or food down and threw up 3 times

Rogers pass was killer…ran out of water and had to cycle for 40 km without water or food…should have planned that a bit better…at one point the intimidation of the unknown when I was staring at mountains that are unbelievably gigantic became overwhelming and I really had to try to think positively about the climb.

A few things went through my head….Firstly, where the hell was Elyse-Every time I turned around a corner, I was hoping to see her with water and food, BUT when I didn’t, staying positive got very hard to deal with as dehydration and lack of energy set in.

Secondly, how much further was this climb and constantly questioning why anyone would bike across Canada for fun…this was not fun and I would have loved to throw my bike over the mountainside and catch a ride home.

Finally, I had two options…complain and whine about the climb and everything I can’t control or start thinking positively. So, I thought back to the talks I had leading up to the ride with Larry Abbott, who is completing his masters as a mental performance consultant, and one thing Larry always includes at the end of his emails is, “keep smiling”. This is the key to thinking positively! You can’t be mad when you are smiling, or at least the smile helps combat the negative feelings…it’s wild…try it…throw a smile on your face, and I promise you will feel better!!! So, I started smiling and thinking about all the people who are supporting me, and how successful our ride has been. This wasn’t just a mountain…this was the point where I realized the importance of my mental preparation. Think positively and all will be well. It may be an uphill battle but being negative wasn’t going to get me anywhere, so through a smile on and get doing what I set out to do.

Revelstoke has something like an elevation of 480m and the summit of Rogers Pass is at an elevation of 1330m…then it is all a downhill reward and I got going over 65 km’s….I realize it isn’t all that safe to go that fast down the mountain, but there is no way I could touch the brakes after punishing my body during that climb, so I decided I was going to fly down the steep slope.

Everyone says Rogers Pass is super sketchy and one must take great caution through the tunnels. We stopped at the first tunnel to remove my sunglasses, put on a handlebar light, and get my taillight blinking. I put on a brighter vest and headed for the first tunnel, only to find out it was about 10 seconds long and the visibility was amazing because of the natural light that is allowed to enter the tunnels. There are a series of tunnels like this because they cover the road from snow/avalanches etc.

I was able to almost keep up with traffic through the entire downhill slope which was nice because that is probably the safest way to bike in my opinion…If no cars are passing me, my safety is in my hands and I don’t have to worry about others. So, I am flying through another routine tunnel, until I realize this tunnel is unique from the others- It is BLACKOUT!! I went from 60km to complete darkness with zero visibility because my headlight failed me.…THIS WAS TERRIFYING…I can’t describe the feeling that comes over your body when you can’t see what is in front of you, you don’t know if cars can see you, and you have no idea what to do. I couldn’t stop fast enough in my opinion, but eventually a car came into the tunnel and the headlights helped guide me to the end. I am so lucky nothing bad happened, and I used a lot more caution when entering the following tunnels.

The ride felt like it took forever, but I made pretty decent time to Golden. Once I get under 40km to my destination, I am laughing because I know it is right around the corner…We arrived in Golden and met up with my grandma’s friend’s daughter Jan. Jan showed us to her home and her and her husband Grant prepared dinner!

Golden is a cool little town. There is only something like a population of 3500 people and the small town feel is very welcoming. They had live bluegrass music down at what they call the spirit square, and I was fortunate enough to be able to say a quick word about Parkinson’s disease to all the folks there (thanks to Jan).

After the performance we went back to the Arlt’s home and kicked it with their family as they got ready for their son’s swim meet in the morning (hopefully he dusted the competition). The Arlts are a super friendly family, and I can see why my grandma was a fan of Jan’s mom! 












 Roger's Pass summit
 Glacier Park







 This is "7" mountain in Golden B.C. ... if you look at the top of the mountain in the snow, the snow forms a perfect number 7 


No comments:

Post a Comment