Sunday 22 July 2012

Medicine Hat to Gull Lake (121km)


Here are the trip stats for today.

Today was the worst day of the ride. We were crossing from Alberta into Saskatchewan and looking forward to the strong prevailing west winds.....BUT...NOPE...huge east winds upwards of 25km/hour just killed my desire to ride. I was absolutely exhausted before I even started this ride and from Medicine Hat, AB to Gull Lake, SK is around 160km. I was so rattled about strong east winds on the longest day I have, but I kept on givin'er. It was also raining all day but that doesn't bother me.

I saw this video called, "Sh*t Cyclist Say" several months ago and I never really thought it was that funny until now....endurance activities are such a mental game and it is incredible how many things affect how efficiently I am able to ride my bike.... nutrition, sleep, and wind are the most important things to me....I'm still trying to find my groove because I am having a ton of trouble right now with keeping solids and liquids down and I am pooched, but I have to keep cycling. 


Here is the video about cycling if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCkuqL9IcM

I also had to make a modification to my bike today....my hands are bruised and feel like the bones are going to fracture of something haha, so I wanted to soften the grips up and the only thing I could use were socks and tape!

Basically I wake up every morning hoping to find a west wind, because your day becomes sooooo much harder the minute you have wind blowing in your face. So, needless to say today was a huge mental and physical struggle, but I realized something important....my mind is stronger than my body and my stubbornness would put me in the hospital before giving up, but that kind of stubbornness is pure stupidity. 


Because I have planned my ride to be able to stay with people who have Parkinson's, I have a set date and time I need to arrive somewhere each day....unfortunately, I can't control the weather and I am just going to have to accept that there are going to be a few days throughout these 72 days where I am not going to be able to cycle the entire distance.


 Thankfully, I have a wonderful support system driving a support vehicle near me...she is my commonsense and starts piping up when she can see I am pushing myself beyond safe limits. Today was the first day I had to make the wise decision and call 121km, against a strong east wind, a day...I was wobbling like mad and having to stop just as much as I was cycling....I probably could have made it to Gull Lake, but I most likely would have done some damage to my body that one day's rest would not heal.

Posting individuals pictures is not practical, so providing a link to all the pictures Elyse is taking will not only allow you to see more pictures, but make my life a little easier. Here is the link for the pictures from Med. Hat to Gull Lake, SK http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245768725526393.36244.162105320559401&type=3

We drove the remainder of the km's to Gull Lake and checked into the Lazy Dee Motel for two nights (compliments of the town!!!! Thank you). Next, Elyse and I drove around the town to look for somewhere to eat and decided to eat at the Horse Shoe Corner Diner....We sat down beside two other cyclists who also said the wind was killer....they bikes 50 km's and called it quits....I was starving so I ordered two meals and the waitress laughed at me....I have ordered two meals at plenty of restaurants before because one sometimes doesn't fill me up. I found out I am using around 500-550 calories/ hour and some days cycling for several hours....I soon found out why the waitress was laughing. The Horse Shoe Corner Diner is not a normal diner...they have the biggest portions I have ever seen, and prices that can't be beat....it actually doesn't make any sense to me, but I was happy that we ate there!

I sort of stick out like a sore thumb in these little towns, because I am not a familiar face and I always wearing the brightest/dirtiest clothing. In today's case that worked to my advantage, because Peggy lives in Gull Lake and had heard about us coming to town. She asked if we had anywhere to stay and then apologized for not offering her home because she was scared we may be two sketchy transient travelers. I completely understand where she is coming from because today I have passed one of the meanest looking people for the third time....I don't know how the guy gets picked up, because I always make sure to cycle as far away from him as possible....his stare and snarl is terrifying to say the least. 

Peggy brought Elyse and I a case of water and some money from her and a few seniors she knows!!! We also got an invite to her backyard potluck for the following night and the local minister Bev. bought us groceries for the day. We have some money and I am not the kind of person who is good at accepting handouts like this, but they ensured us this is what they wanted to help us with...so I want to thank them for taking care of us and showing us a good time in Gull Lake!






No comments:

Post a Comment