Tuesday 31 July 2012

Esterhazy SK to Birtle MB


So I woke up at 4am because there was a fight that broke out in the campground...A few guys had a little too much to drink and decided they were going to make everyone else’s lives almost as miserable as theirs were. Elyse was lucky enough to snooze through this commotion, so I let her sleep in peace until 6AM and we were off to Birtle MB.



Crossing into Manitoba we lost another hour, and I knew we had to be in Birtle by 2pm because the town knew we were coming and I feel awful when I am not on time. I missed ONE small sign that I had been warned about and ended up biking probably 30km the wrong way on a gravel road; however, we used a compass to get back on track and we eventually made it to Birtle.



I was greeted at the top of a hill by Bob Marshall, before entering the town of Birtle, and he told me there were several children who were waiting to bike into town with me!!!! It was awesome to meet up with the kids and cruise into the middle of town.




The town had organized a greeting for Parkinson’s Cycle of Hope and the Mayor (Dwight Stewart welcomed us to the town). Birtle may be small, but it is beautiful and the folks really came together to support Parkinson`s research and make us feel very special. Having the children join me on the ride was incredible!!! A big thank you goes out to Karen and Bob Marshall for not only hosting us for the night, but also spreading awareness in their town ahead of time!





Crossroads this week even printed an article about us arriving into town, without us even having to contact them!!!



After the gathering, Elyse and I followed Karen and Bob Marshall to their home and Karen hooked us up with unreal sandwiches…we chatted for a bit, aired our wet camping gear out, and then went for Chinese food at the local hot spot!  I have talked over and over again about how many people with Parkinson`s have mentioned exercise is very important to them, but one cool way to keep active, that I never thought about, was to use Nintendo Wii games. The Wii system allows the person to interact in a physical way that actually gets the person up and moving and can vary in intensity, depending on one’s ability….Give it a whirl!!!



Everything was fantastic and Elyse and I were both very tired. It didn`t take long after dinner before I couldn`t keep my eyes open….off to bed I went.

Here are the trip stats for the day: https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/user/calendar/item/analyze.ftl?id=157452061&r

Make sure to click on this link for some very special pictures from visiting Birtle! The last couple pictures are from Brandon MB

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245915942178338.36279.162105320559401&type=3

No comments:

Post a Comment